S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults
1604863

My Dog is suffering Dry Heaves, Some kind of stomach ...

My Dog is suffering Dry Heaves, Some kind of stomach convulsions and she is not eating unless you feed her dog treats. She has not been outside in about 24 hours. Can you tell me if she going to die?
Category: Dog
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 7 years ago.

Does this sound like a hacking, croup type of cough ? Any vomiting or excessive drooling? How old is she?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: It sounds like she is going to vomit but nothing comes out. No excessive drooling. She is going to be 10 in March.

A dry, hacking cough that sounds like something might be stuck in the dog's throat is one of the symptoms of Kennel Cough. Bordetella Bronchiseptica has an incubation period of 2 to 14 days. It's often caught while dogs are boarded in kennels (hence the name) or even in dog obedience classes, dog parks, vet waiting rooms, etc.. It's more commonly passed along in poorly ventilated areas, thus the name 'kennel cough'. It's a bacteria which in normal situations isn't especially difficult to treat. There is usually a secondary infection (or more) that needs to be addressed in order to eliminate the problem, so a vet check is warranted.

In dogs with immune system or other problems, this could be a more serious condition and indicate urgent treatment to insure a better chance of survival.

Other causes for dog coughing are environmental, like cigarette smoke exposure, dust, temperature extremes (too hot, too cold) and even stress. It could be tracheal disease or just allergies.

Heartworm may cause coughing, shortness of breath and other signs of distress.

For more dog-cough information: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.html

Also, there are 9 types of vaccines available against Bordetellosis, usually products with whole cell bacterin, extracted cellular antigens or avirulent live culture. Some are intranasal (rather than injectable). An interesting note is that among veterinarians, there is a differing opinion as to the necessity of these vaccinations, as well as how effective they actually are and whether or not the protection lasts.

Columbia Animal Hospital provides more http://www.cah.com/dr_library/kennekcough.html

Keep her calm and limit her activities - which may cause these spasms of coughing/hacking. As long as she's been drinking, just let her rest and make an appointment to be seen by her vet tomorrow.

If you notice breathing difficulty, lack of response, inability to get up, loss of balance, pacing and apparent refusal to lay down, crying in pain, vomiting with tinges of blood or diarrhea (especially with any blood), or fever - an emergency visit must be made.

To take her temp, using a digital thermometer, apply a dab of KY jelly or vasoline (even cooking oil or mineral oil) to the tip and insert it about 1" into the rectum.

Normal is between 100-102.5; if a temp of 104 or above is noted, this too is an emergency situation.

Just be sure to see the vet tomorrow ok?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: There is no cough or hack. It sounds like she is trying to throw up and nothing comes out. She is never around other dogs (She hasn't been boarded or to at the vet recently). She has become very lethargic but tries to stay close by me at the same time.

Did you take the temp? Has this been going on just today? Where has she been walked? Any exposure to possible toxins like plants or chemicals (neighborhood, garage?)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: No I do not own a thermometer. This has been going on for about 3 days and she only goes out in the yard we do not go out into the neighborhood. She has not been exposed to anything out of the ordinary.

Please make a call to your vet right now and use the emergency number or hotline if necessary.

Explain that this has been happening for three days and that it's "unproductive retching".

I would genuinely prefer this were kennel cough, but that you indicate it's more a vomiting (without vomit) action than a hacking, dry cough, you may be facing a serious intestinal/gut condition.

At just 10 years old, she's not that old. Please put that call in ok - and check back with me to let me know how it goes, what happens.

My prayers are with you and your companion. God bless,

Experience: We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults