Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

English Bulldog throwing up stomach bile

I have a male 2 1/2 year old English Bulldog who throws up what appears to be bile usually during the night but has happened once during the day. He it otherwise healthy. He wear about 50 lbs. Has anyone had this with a Bulldog or anytime of dog? It appears to be to be sometype of acid reflux and seems to happen when his stomach is empty.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 10 years ago.

how long is he doing this?
What does he eat?

does he have a lot of mucus that causes post nasal drip?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: He has been doing this off and on for about a year it has recently become nightly. He eats a mix of Eurkuba Large Breed dry and Royal Cain for Bulldogs mixed with Eurkaba wet. He eats 3x a day breakfast,lunch,dinner with snacks in between . He has about 2 cups of dry a day plus a large spoonful of wet at each meal. I don't see an outwards sign of post nasal drip.

Dear friend,

Bulldogs and other Brachycephalic (short faced) breeds often suffer from acid relux. Many times they have post nasal drip complicated by a short trachea or palate. There is a condition called hypomotility where the food is not moving quickly enough through the digestive tract. This is more common at night when the body slows down.

If he only has this problem at night give him a half a pepsid tablet ten minutes before he eats his nightly meal. Do not let him fill up on liquid before, during or after he is eating. Let him only have an ounce every 10 minutes until an hour after his food. Walk him before he eats so he is not subjected to any exercise afterwards. You can increse the pepsid to a full tablet if half does not completely resolve the problem.There is also a vet scripted drug calle sucalfrate that he can try which is like canine prilosec. He is on an excellent diet. Both Eukanuba and Royal canin should provide excellent nutrition and are low allergy as well.

Please let me know how he is doing on the pepsid. If you have any more questions, I wil lbe happy to discuss this further and help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,