Patricia
Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.
1035247

How do you know if your dog is getting ready to die

Customer Question

I've heard they will go off to be alone or seek the companionship of those who brought them to the house
Category: Dog
Expert:  Don replied 10 years ago.

Hello friend, do you have a dog who is doing this type of behavior?

Sincerely,Don

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Don's Post: yes, I do. He will run into the basement, and then he wants to be real close to my husband who is the one that brought him to the house. What does this mean?
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.
Hi Suz. Don has indicated that he is going to be away so I will see if I can help you with this. Can you tell me how old your dog is? Has he recently been to the vet and been diagnosed with anything; especially anything that would usually be considered a terminal illness or condition? Has he received any recent injuries that you know of? How is he doing as respects eating, drinking and how about his bowel movements and urination? Does all seem to be normal or if not, can you tell us what is going on with that? This extra information will help us to help you. Thanks, Patricia
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: The dog is 15 yrs. old. He was recently to the vet a month ago. He goes once a year for his yearly check up. Nothing has been diagnosed recently. He urinates a lot, his apetite is ok.
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.

Okay, thanks for that information. It's very helpful. Let me preface what I'm going to say with this. Anytime we have older pets we of course have to be ever vigilant in any changes in behaviors or bodily functions. If you feel he is urinating much more than normal, you might want to at least give the vet a call and see if he/she thinks, based on the records, if he might be starting to have some kidney or bladder issues. Other than that, no one knows your dog better than you do and you will be the first one to notice anything that may be awry with him. At his age, he could be starting to have something go wrong that has started since his last checkup. It could also simply be that he is older, maybe his eyesight and/or his hearing is not quite what it was and either of those can make them feel less secure. He simply may feel that he wants to be closer to the person who "saved" him and gave him a home. For now, I would just keep an extra alert eye on everything and go ahead and coddle him and let him stay as close as he feels the need. As for the running to the basement, again, you are going to have to make your own assessment of what it might mean depending on several things. Is there living area in the basement? Did he use to spend a lot of time down there. Is there any reason he might feel more secure there than in other parts of the house? What does he do when he goes there? Is there anything down there that might be attracting him; like a piece of furniture that used to be upstairs but you have moved it? It's pretty hard for us to always read our pets and try to figure out just what they may be thinking and why. It can get more difficult as they get older and maybe a little more scattered in their thought processes. They are not unlike us humans in that regard. Before my extremely elderly poodle passed on, at just past 24 years, he would often head someplace, suddenly stop in the middle of the room and look all around as if "now where was it I was going?" Nothing you have said would lead me to believe you have any pressing emergency happening. Just keep that closer eye on him for any real noticeable alterations in behavior and bodily functions and beyond that, a little extra babying and cuddling can't hurt. I hope this eases your mind a bit and will be of some help to you. If you have any more questions, just let me know. Patricia

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Patricia replied 10 years ago.

Your answer has been waiting for you since October 15, last year. Let me know if you do not see it.