Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

my dogs bad breath

Hi my dog has very bad breath it almost smells like a bowel movement. It is so bad if you are in the same room as she is it actually makes you gag.. I took her to the vet they said it was from bad teeth they gave her antibiotics which helped some then they pulled her bad teeth and cleaned her teeth that has not helped . That was about 6 months ago.The pet store told me it was her food they suggested a different food ,that has not helped . she is about 10 years old her breath was fine before, it has been like this for about 2 years. She sleeps in one of the bedrooms in the house at night we shut the door at night so she does'nt roam the house till morning, when I open the door the room smells so bad I have to leave the door shut until I put a fan in it and air it out if I leave the door open you can smell the smell in the whole house.
Hope you can help. I feel bad because she is such a loving dog and loves people but she smells so bad no one can stand to have her near.

Virgie
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bluerose,

Without a physical examination, I can only give you an idea of what it might be since teeth problems are ruled out. It may be that her anal glands are leaking or becoming full and she is licking the area and transfering the smell to her mouth resulting in very bad breath.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the puppy's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out.

She could be licking them and relieving the pressure of full glands.

Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Hi she is not a puppy she is 11 years old and no I never see her licking herself. She has only had this problem about 2 years.
Bluerose,

Puppy was the wrong term, it happens frequently in older dogs. Since the normal causes of bad breath have been ruled out. You could try expressing the anal glands to see if any fluid comes out which would signal that they are becoming full.

Bad breath may also be related to the stomach. You could try adding regular unflavored yogurt (not fat-free) to your dog's food for a week or so ..... and see if that doesn't help solve the problem. Yogurt will add good bacteria to your dogs digestive system.

Hope this helps.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist