Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

hey..i have a 10 year old lab who is having arthritic pain ...

Customer Question

hey..i have a 10 year old lab who is having arthritic pain can i give her bc powder? it has salicyclamide in it safe just for tonite? what do you suggest to get tomorrow? thanks...jody green
Category: Dog
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 10 years ago.
It would be better to give just plain aspirin for tonight. Have her checked by your vet tomorrow so that she can get a better medication that would work for her. There are several different ones available for dogs so if one doesn't work for her your vet can try a different one. Make sure that you tell them that you gave her something, some medications when used together can cause some stomach upset or even ulcers.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Animal Eyes's Post: i do not accept this answer....because it didn't answer my question thank-you
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 years ago.

BC powder contains not only asprin but also salicylamide and caffeine. The latter two ingredients are not recommended to be given to a dog. Asprin alone can increase the risk of bleeding adding salicylamide increases this affect and is not recommended. Caffeine can cause severe reactions including hyperactivity, fevers, and pacing actually causing the pet to be more uncomfortable then the initial reason for giving the medication in the first place. The other problem is trying to get an accurate dose according to your dogs weight. BC powder contains 625mg of asprin and depending on how much your dog weighs this could be too much or too little. I will agree that giving just plain asprin tonight is recommended. You can dose your dog at 5mg per pound up to three times daily with food. This is only allowed as long as your dog is not currently on anti-inflammatories and does not have any known bleeding disorders.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Thank you