Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

White dog poop liver disease

Over the past couple of weeks, my dog's poop has begun to turn white. It starts out brown and then fades over a day or so. Is this a sign of anything bad? She ate a couple of bones about two weeks I'm hoping that this is associated with that. My wife, however, read somewhere that this is a sign of terminal liver disease. Thanks.

Dear friend,

white deposits in canine feces are usually related to excess calcium in her system. It is NOT A SIGN OF A TERMINAL DISEASE.It can be caused by a lackof digestion of certain material. Since bones contain calcium it is vey possible they were the culprit. Intestinal parasites, bad bacteria or eating any non food items can also cause changes in the color of the stool.

Give your girl one tablespoon of plain yogurt every day. That contains acidopholus and will put "good" bacteria in her system.If this continues have a stool sample tested to see if there are any parasites she may have picked up from the outdoors.

Please let me know how your girl is feeling and if you still have any questions. I will be happy to help in any way possible.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thanks for your answer.

Is it possible that this is simply a sign of good digestion? I will follow your advice and give her some yogurt.

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help someone as nice as you and your sweet girl. It is possible she is just digesting the bones, which contain calcium, or that her system is having a slight problem in metabolizing this mineral. It can also be caused by bad bacteria.Let me know if the yogurt helps. If it continues it is best to have a stool sample tested for parasites.As long as she is eating any pottying normally I would not be too concerned about this.

Please let me know if you still have questions.

Sincerest best wishes,