Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My pug is scratching constantly. She is 5 weeks ...

My pug is scratching constantly. She is 5 weeks pregnant and cannot take cortizone shots. Can I use Benadene on her which is typically used for hot spot skin remedy?
Benadryl doesn't really work for most dogs with allergies. There is a new allergy drug called ATOPICA that can be used without the side effects of cortisones. Check with your vet.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: I am sorry, but the use of Benadryl wasn't my question. I purchased a bottle of Sergeant's Benadene for hot spot skin remedy at the store which has an active ingredient of Benzalkonium Chloride. It can be used on puppies over the age of 6 weeks which is why I hoped it could be used on a pregnant dog, but felt it was better to ask. Thanks
I am sorry, I get the questions on Benadryl all the time.

Benzalkonium Chloride is a skin disinfectant and if there is a bacterial infection it may be Ok. You did not indicate that there was a hot spot.

If she is really scratching that bad, she may need to be treated for sarcoptic mange with wither a dip or a shot, which are both safe for a 5 week pregnant bitch.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: She doesn't have mange or even a specific hot spot. She is well taken care of by our local vet and she is given her Interceptor and Advantage monthly. I am told she may have allergies and the vet usually gives her a cortisone shot. But because she is pregnant, he opted to use hydroxyzine 25mg tables. These aren't really doing anything for her. She CONSTANTLY scratches and bless her heart she is driving us crazy. I see several red spots (like a dot) on her and thought this Benadene might be helpful. We have tried every shampoo imaginable. Again, she doesn't have a "hot spot" but I will dab some of this on different areas of her body where I see a red spot as long as it won't hurt her. Thanks so much.
Hydroxazine probably will not do too much. Ask about Atopica for allergies during pregnancy. There is also a cortisone spray called Genesis that you can use.