Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)

My dog (12 lbs) ate one of my prenatal vitamins. Will ...

My dog (12 lbs) ate one of my prenatal vitamins. Will the iron in the vitamin hurt her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

Thanks for asking your question on Just Answer. In order to answer your question, I need to know how much iron was in the vitamin.

Can you look on the bottle and let me know how many milligrams it has of iron?

Also, please look at the amount of Vitamin A and D and let me know that too -- they can be toxic as well.

Awaiting your reply so I can help you better.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: Vitamin D = 400 I.U.
Vitamin A = 4000 I.U.
Iron = 28 mg
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

If your dog at only 1 of your pills, the iron dose is not toxic. It can cause some gastrointestinal tract upset. I would however, recommend that you give your dog about 3 cc's of Milk of Magnesia. This will help bind to the iron and make it less available to the body to do damage.

The dosages of Vit A&D are also not toxic if your dog only ate one.

I would recommend monitoring your dog for any signs of gastroinestinal upset. It can take a few days before you'd see any signs. I think you'll be fine.

If your dog ate the vitamin less than 2 hours ago, you can make your dog vomit. You can take him to an emergency vet and they can use a medication to make him vomit which is very safe, or you can try the following at home (this method has a risk of damaging the GI tract lining so don't keep repeating it if it doesn't work):

Please let me know if you need more information. Good luck!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: Will Mylanta work in lieu of Milk of Magnesia?
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

No, the active ingredients are different. Mylanta is aluminum hydroxide. The other is magnesium hydroxide. I don't think that Mylanta will bind iron........