NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog seems to have gotten pinworms...how do I get rid of them

My dog seems to have pinworms, can I treat her with over the counter medication?
Dogs don't get pinworms but they do get roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms.
Depending on the kind of worms the dog has different meds are needed.
Any over the counter med with pyrantel pamoate as the active ingredient can eliminate the most common round and hook worms.
Fenbendazole called Panacur in its prescription form and Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer in an over the counter version can get rid of whipworms as well as hook and round worms and one sort of tapeworm.
Droncit or Cestex will get rid of tapeworms and only the prescription meds do a good safe job of that.
You can read about worms in dogs here
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
Hope this helps you!