Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

Shih Poo drying heaving, licking nose, and making gulping noise

Our 1 1/4 year old Shih Poo had a bit of a scary episode yesterday. She came in from outside shaking, dry heaving, and doing some excessive gulping and licking of her nose. She calmed down after about 5 minutes but continued to do the licking of her nose and gulping on and off for the rest of the night, she seemed fine aside from these symptoms - she ate a little, had water, and played with her toys after she was able to throw up last night (she threw up a little grass (which I think she ate in order to throw up)) then she slept well through the night with no problems, and had a couple licking her nose and gulping episodes this morning before having one large cough and spit up of clear spit-like liquid. Her breathing and everything seems ok, but she is our first dog and these symptoms made us very nervous. Any ideas what this might be? Everything we looked up included other issues like lethargy, coughing, etc. and she didn't have any of those. It was almost like hiccups except with the licking of the nose and gulping so we thought she might have swallowed something wrong or sniffed something bad. Please let me know your thoughts.
was there any fertilizer or insecticide on the grass?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She didn't eat the grass until after she had the dry heaving, etc. She gets into everything and was on the back deck where there were leaves and she always trys to eat and play with those. Do you think she had something poisoneous? She seems to be doing fine today - we have her in doggie daycare, and I've called, and except from one large sniff/cough, she has been fine. It's almost like she sniffed something and is trying to get it out, but we are still unsure.

Dear dfriend,

I do not think she ingested sometjing toxic. Something irriating is much more likely. She has been trying to bring the offisive item up and what you were witnessing sounds like a reverse sneeze. It is very much like a hiccup. You can read about it here:

When your baby gets home give her some bread and butter and cottage cheese in addition to her food. This spongy material will help her push out leaves, grass, etc so she should feel much better.

Please let me know how she is and if you have ore questions. I am happy to help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,