Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field
883989

my puppy is dizzy and shaky

i think my puppy ingested something, she is not feeling good. What do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
-How old is your puppy?
-What breed, how much does she weigh?
-What is she doing (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargic, etc.) that has you concerned?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: 2-3 months old, dachsund mix, approx. 8 lbs. Was fine this morning, about an hour ago, she was beginning to get wobbly, dizzy-like, and wanting just to lay down. She may have nibbled on something either from the back yard or in a nook or cranny in the house. That's all I can figure.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Small breed puppies are very prone to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)- this can lead to the signs you describe and is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Rub a little bit of karo syrup on her gums, and if she is able, let her drink a little bit (teaspoon). If you don't have karo, make a sugar solution with warm water and table sugar and give her this.
Do this and get back to me, I'll be waiting to here from you. If this doesn't help, we'll go over some other possibilities and decide if she needs vet help today.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: I will try the sugar water solution. I don't have Karo syrup. I will reply after I've done so. Thanks you will hear back from me.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
How are things going? Any improvements? Any changes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: We tried the sugar solution, which was given about 20 minutes ago. We then gave a small amount of clear water to follow. She is sleeping now. Is that OK, normal?
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Can you rouse her from her sleep? Try that and tell me if she still appears to be wobbly.
Also, check her gum color- she should be a nice pink color and her gums should be slimey and wt.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: Yes, she responded to ner name, put up her head, checked her gums, they look pink and moist. I stood her up, she is weak but the wobble is very slight now.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Please continue to offer the sugar water solution every 10 minutes or so for the next hour. Encourage her to eat some food. If she isn't interested in her puppy food, try canned dog or cat food, or jars of baby food (turkey, chicken, and beef work well). She should get progressively stronger if low blood sugar is the problem.
Look around the house to see if you can figure out something she might have gotten into. Check electrical cords to see if they've been disturbed. Check cleaning products to see if they've been knocked over. Does she have access to the garage or to areas near cars? Ingestion of antifreeze will cause these symptoms in the very early stages.
If she is not improving, and certainly if she gets worse, in the next few hours, she should be seen by a vet on an emergency basis. These little ones can go downhill very quickly. Continue to monitor her gum color (pink is good), and her hydration (wet gums are good). If these things change, have her seen today!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: One good thing -- getting into any antifreeze is not possible she was in house or small enclosed yard. Will administer more sugar water, water and small bits of food. We did give her some small bits of fresh cooked chicken. She does make a small moaning noise when she tries to move around.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
The moaning may be related to pain- monitor this carefully and if it worsens, seek an ER vet.
One thing I didn't mention, as a Dachsund mix, if she has the typical Doxie body structure, she is prone to back injuries. An intervertebral disk problem (shock absorbers between the bones of the spine) would lead to ataxia, or wobbliness when walking. Yet another reason to seek help if she is not perking up for you.
If she got into the garbage or ate something inappropriate this could lead to abdominal discomfort. These guys will usually begin vomiting or develop diarrhea. In most dogs, you can fast them temporarily until the belly calms down. This is NOT feasible in a small breed pup, because of their predisposition toward hypoglycemia.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: OK, she is peeing a bit while she is lying down. Is that normal or not?
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
No, that's not normal.
There are several possibilities for that- urinary tract infection, discomfort (too sore to get up so she urinates where she is), or a neurologic problem.
Does the urine look grossly normal (can you see any blood, is it very cloudy or "chunky", does it have an abnormal odor)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: normal looking
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Do me a favor...
Stand her up. Take her back paw in your hand and turn it over onto its top surface, so that her toenails are pointing backwards.
Does she quickly put her foot into the right position again, or does she take a try or two?
Do this with all four feet.
If you have another dog or cat at home, you can try it with them first so you can see what normal looks like.
I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: She puts them right back down. Didn't seem like she was in pain at all.She walked a bit since we picked her up, the wobble is almost gone, only seems weak. Gave her some canned cat food bites, that perked her up. :-)
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Good. Normal reflexes make a back issue less likely.
Continue to offer her food and small amounts of the sugar solution. Monitor for pain, dehydration, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, recurrence of the wobble. If her condition worsens, call an ER vet. If she does ok for you but is still not 100% by tomorrow, I recommend you have your regular vet see her.
It's ok to let her sleep, but check on her periodically and make sure she is rousable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: Ok. She just had a very large urination. Guess all the water, but she was up and did it normal. It looked clear and normal to me. No vomiting, no diarreha, at least yet. Thanks very much.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
Sounds good. Hope she continues to improve for you!
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience: 9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field