NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

I found a large lump on my puppies head

What is the large lump on my puppies head?
where is it located?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: It is located at the top of his head in between his ears. The size is about 1 inch by 1 inch.
If its towards the back of his skull it might be the occipital bone you are feeling.
Its also possible this is an insect sting or bite you are feeling, or that a sebaceous gland is clogged.
And as this is a puppy its also possible he whacked his head on something and has a bruise.
If this is a chihuahua or certain other toy breeds it might be a swelling through a soft spot or open fonatanel which could indicate a real problem.
This chart shows where the occiput is located
Thats a normal part of a dog's skull.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: This is not part of his skull. Its like a large mass on top of his head. It does not hurt him when I press on it. The mass has not gone down since I noticed it a couple of days ago. I am wondering if it is a tumor?
If this is a puppy its more apt to be a sebaceous cyst or a hair follicle infection.
But you should have it checked by your vet.
You can read about lumps and bumps in dogs here
If the lump has a small hole in the center with mucus in it then it might be a cuterebra larva.
Usually it takes the vet to get that larva out but sometimes if you cover the breathing hole with petroleum jelly or neosporin ointment the larva will come up high enough to be grabbed with tweezers and extracted.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I have checked it out and found no hole. If it is a sebaceous cyst or a hair follicle infection, would it appear over night?
Yes rather like a pimple the whole thing can blow up overnight.
But it could be an allergic reaction to an insect bite or sting too or a lump from a good whack on the head - knowing how pups get into things including annoying bees and hitting their heads that is a possibility too.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: If it is an allergic reation how long could it be before the mass goes down? It has been a couple of days and still no change. Is there any possiblity that it is a tumor of some sort? At this point is it just best to have my vet take a look at it or should I wait a couple more days?
I really would not expect a tumor in a puppy.
As its stayed the same for a couple of days now the good news is its not growing. I would have your vet check it out to see what is going on.
If you are due for puppy shots soon and the lump isn't changing that might be time enough. If you don't have an upcoming appointment I think you'd feel better if you had a vet check your puppy out.