Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)

My 5 yr old Shih Tzu developed numerous pink warts on ...

My 5 yr old Shih Tzu developed numerous pink warts on her back and sides which then became surrounded by seborrheic dermatitis. My vet has her on Doxicycline and Retin A topically daily. Nothing seems to be getting better. Do you have any experience with this or suggestions to offer? Thanks in advance!
Sandy
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
The warts are now surrounded with tissue that has turned black and is spreading. The Retin A seems to have stopped their spread a bit but that's it. She still has warts surrounded by black tissue. The vet calls this seborrheic dermatitis and says it needs 3 months of treatment with Doxycycline and Retin A. Does your expert agree with this diagnosis and treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for asking your question on Just Answer. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin disorder in some breeds. But, it is important not to go by "look alone" in making the diagnosis. It is possible that your dog has a secondary bacterial or fungal infection, attributing to the change in skin color as well. Until all underlying infections are treated, this won't go away. Retin A can help, but there are other treatments available as well.

Did your vet do a biopsy to get the diagnosis? Did they do a fungal culture? These are important steps.

If your dog is itchy, this adds other possibilities into the mix like allergies.

Awaiting your reply to the questions I've posed so I can assist you further....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: There was no biopsy and no fungal culture taken. I know she has chronic fungal infection in one ear and I medicate for that. My vet also put her on a special diet which is "Response FP." She has been eating that now for 2 full bags. She is not itchy, except in the one infected ear. Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Boyer!

Sandy Goodwin
Seattle
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 7 years ago.

Hi Sandy,

I would absolutely insist on a biopsy and fungal culture. Your vet should also do what is called an impression smear (he takes a slide and presses it against the lesions) and then stains it to look for bacterial infection. You can't really treat something unless you know what it is. It sounds like your dog has "yeast issues" if she has chronic ear infections. Response FP is fine, but it's not a truly hypoallergenic diet.

You can also ask your vet to refer you to a veterinary dermatologist. That would be the best course of action. It isn't that expensive and you are getting the benefit of a board certified practitioner who only does dermatology. They often have treatment options that general practitioners don't. The cost of a consult is less than 2 followups at your vet.

I hope that this is helpful. Please let me know if you need more information. If you are interested in addressing this from a homeopathic perspective (natural medicine) vs. allopathic (western), please let me know and we can discuss a future "telemedicine" consult.

Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)