vet tech 33
vet tech 33, Vet Tech
Experience:  worked in the verinary field for the last 16 years with a critical care background

dog: is lame..her left,had x-rays,test for lyme disease

Customer Question

my dog is lame on her left front leg.took her to the vet,had x-rays,test for lyme disease.all negative.currently on rymadyl and an antibiotic.she seems fine ,eats well,no signs of pain or swelling,is there any type of brace we could use to help take the stress off her leg? i think she has a bad sprain or toar some ligaments. any suggestions wolud be great.
thank you very much
chris & patty nichols-owners \ sophie 14 mth golden retriever 73 lbs
Category: Dog
Expert:  vet tech 33 replied 10 years ago.
I would not recommend a splint unless your veterinarian has told you that it would be the best course of action. Many times especially in large active breeds a splint can create new problems such as pressure sores. Instead I would suggest crate rest(the crate should be large enough for her to stand up and turn around and long enough so that she can lie down comfortably).In addition you should only take her out for minimal walks to go out and go to the bathroom for the next 7 days. If her condition doesn't improve or worsens be sure to follow up with your vet.