Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

What should I do if my pregnant Yorkie wont eat.

What should I do if my pregnant Yorkie won't eat. She is 4 weeks along, and barely eats a little (raw) hamb in morning and a little baked chicken in the evening.She won't touch her vitamins, or any thing else I have been told to give them, like liver, cottage cheese, plain yogurt. She won't even eat her kibbles that she grew up on. Puppy or adult size. Thank you Linda Habecker [email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.

Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Many pregnant dogs of all breeds do encounter this problem. I will tell you, there is usually NO damage to the pups, despite our distress! This is part of the reason to hold off breeding a female until her body is mature. Nausea can be a real problem if it occurs later on in the pregnancy, so observe closely the times of day that she Does have interest in food.

There are a number of things you can try (the amount of space left is really small in this size dog)...including frequent offerings of:

1) Freeze dried chicXXXXX XXXXXvers (available at most better pet stores)--good source of protein and iron in a really digestible form

2) Esbilac liquid puppy replacer (available at pet stores)--good source of vitamins and calories

3) Nutrical, or similar paste calorie supplement (available at better pet stores) inch three times daily now, then add 1 inch daily each week until delivery

4) You can ask the vet for a can of Hill's Prescription a/d, or Eukanuba Maximum Calorie--these prescription foods provide a lot of calories and nutrients in tiny portions

Please avoid too many high-calcium foods at this point...they have been implicated in eclampsia later on just before or after delivery (a calcium-blood-balance disorder that can be fatal).

Late term food aversion can bridge over into nausea post-delivery, so be sure to continue finding things she will eat for you now...have a good supply of these foods for her first few weeks of nursing, when her calorie needs begin to really increase! Begin using the cottage cheese and/or yogurt after delivery to provide calcium.

If you have any doubts about how she is doing medically, please have her examined by a veterinarian who is familiar with canine reproduction.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".