NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

What can cause bleeding from the rectum of a dog? Do they get diverticulits like people do? Do I need to be concerned about contact with my other dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Rectal bleeding can be due to intestinal parasites, infections such as coccidia or giardia, swallowing a non food item that is irritating the bowel as it passes through, viral disease etc.
Inflammatory bowel disease which can be triggered by food allergies can cause rectal bleeding too
If your dog has not had all its shots it could be a viral disease such as parvovirus or coronavirus.
Diverticulitis isn't really a dog disease but dogs can get perianal fistulas but those are mostly seen in German Shepherds.
If your dog is bleeding I'd say you do need to have him see a vet. He might need medications. He could need a diet change, or he might need surgery to remove something irritating him.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks for the reply. Yoru answer was very helpful. You did not answer, though, whether or not I need to be concerned for my other dogs. Alex is already at the vet but I could not get a hold of him to answer my questions. The other dogs seem to be ok but I am concerned.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Sorry! It really depends on what the issue is. If he has an infection such as parasites or coccidia or giardia the other dogs might get it too.
If Alex has not had his shots and the other dogs have then a viral infection might be no concern for the others.
If he ate something that isn't agreeing with him then it might depend on if he shared or not.
So it comes down to what the vet finds.
As long as the others appear OK I'd not worry unless the vet tells you this is something contagious.
I know waiting for a call back is nerve wracking when you are wondering how your pet is!