NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

What can I do for my dogs nail that was pulled back and now ...

Customer Question

What can I do for my dogs nail that was pulled back and now it seems like it is going to fall off. it is bleeding right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Its hard to do as it hurts the dog but cutting it off at the point it is broken or cracked will hurt a great deal when you do it and then reduce the pain a lot once its off.
There will be blood as the nail is being cut below the quick. Styptic powder or flour or cornstarch can be used to help with clotting along with pressure against the cut end of the nail.
Its a bit like getting a hangnail off - hurts while its there, hurts bad when you remove it, but once its gone the pain subsides.
Hope this helps you!