Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

My dogs eyes are rolling back into her head. Why is this ...

My dogs eyes are rolling back into her head. Why is this and what should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 10 years ago.
How old is your girl?
What breed and weight?
What happened that led up to this?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She is a 5 month old Golden Retreiver sbout 40 lbs. Not sure what could have happened to make this happen. It seems as though the membrane that covers her eyeball (third eyelid??) is red and not opening properly.

put two drops of pancake syrup right on her tongue in case she is hypoglycemic and let me know if she perks up - I will stand by.

Terri

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She perked up some but her eye still looks wierd...

Dear friend,

Your baby may have had a seizure. This can be a result of a parasite, an ingested non food item, an illness, etc.

Since she responded to the syrup that mean her blood sugar was low. Keep her very quiet. If she has a fever wipe her down with a cool damp cloth and immediately wrap her in a towel so she does not chill. If she cannot keep anything down or the seizures continue you will have to take her to the ER. In the meantime if she acts lightheaded do the syrup again.

Please let me know how she is and if you have more questions. I will be happy to help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: How would I be able tell if she has a fever or a seizure? She is acting normal and is eating and drinking just fine. Her eye is still acting up though.
If she is now acting normal except for her eye she may have goten something in her eye or injured it. You can apply a damp teabag three times a day. Her temp rectally should not be over 101. If she acts like this again she should be seen tonight.If she just acts normal let your vet see her eye tomorrow.