NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my dogs nose appears to have some sort of scabby rash

Customer Question

my dog's nose appears to have some sort of scabby rash on it, should I take him to the vet to have this checked?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Yes he should probably be checked out but in the meantime until you can see your vet you can clean the area with betadine iodine solution or a dab of hydrogen peroxide and then use neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on the spot.
If that works to clear it up great. If it doesn't then checking to see if this is due to an autoimmune disease such as pemphigus or is a skin cancer type growth that needs to be removed is something your vet can help you with.
You can read about pemphigus here
You can read about other issues including plastic dish dermatitis here
Hope this helps you!