NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My poodle has been chewing on his penis. Today it was ...

My poodle has been chewing on his penis. Today it was feverish and I do not know if it is because he has been chewing on it. It has a small raised bump that looks like a pimple on it. I think that is why he is chewing on it. This has been the case for over a month now. My vet treated him with antibiotics and it does not seem to being helping the problem. Do you have any ideas on what this problem may be caused from and how I can treat it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Did this show up right after a grooming?
Does he have any 'drip' from his sheath?
How old is he?
Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: My poodle is about 5 years old. I just noticed one day that he was chewing on his penis. I had to put a cone on his head so he did not chew on it because it was irritating him. I usually groom him myself. He does not seem to have any drip from what i can see. In fact his penis is quite dry and feverish. He is neutered. I got him neutered when he was younger.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
If he is lacking moisture in the shaft area that could cause irritation and infection which would make him chew or lick at it.
Sometimes a foreign object gets caught up in the sheath, sometimes skin mites can cause an issue in this area.
Where he has a lump there that has not gone away during treatment you might want to get it checked out by a specialist in small animal internal medecine as your vet has not been able to help you
or with a veterinary dermatologist.
Whne I have seen small blister or pimple like spots on the abdomen I could usually clear them up with a chlorhexaderm shampoo or with antibiotics from the vet.
As this is persistent and the shaft area seems to be infected/inflamed based on your description you might want to see a specialist to help you clear this up.
Hope this helps you!