Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

My female dog's urine looks green. What could this be?

My female dog's urine has a green tint to it. What would be causing that?

She may have a urinary tract infection. So you should have a vet do a urinalysis to rule this out. Try to not let her urinate right before you leave for the vet or when she gets there so they can get a sample when you arrive.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Could it be anything else?

How old is she? Does she drink a lot of water? Any other symptoms? Peeing more than usual?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.

She is 2 1/2. I've had to leave her for long periods of time the last week. I've tried to get her to go out on the patio in some dog litter (I'm in an apartment) but she won't do it so she has held it all day.

So you have only seen it once? There are no other symptoms and she is able to hold it all day? If so, just keep a watch on her. It may be concentrated from holding it. Your safest bet would be to have a U/A done, but I do not feel it is an emergency.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Will it hurt her to hold it all day?

She should be fine but you may want to try some puppy pee pads and see if she will use them.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Thank you. Have a nice evening.

You are quite welcome. How does her urine look today?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Dark yellow, but not green.

Thats better but dark may still mean it is concentrated. Is she drinking enough water? At some point and time a urinalysis may be a good idea, so they can check specific gravity as well. Call your vet and ask if they will let you bring a clean fresh catch in for them to check and thus save you having to take the dog.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Thanks for checking. I will do that. Have a good evening.

You too!