Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

My dog has been vomiting, lethargic and very weak. She ...

My dog has been vomiting, lethargic and very weak. She started exhibiting symptoms yesterday, but has grown worse. She is constipated and won't eat. She has had some water, but has not vomited since 8 am. I am very nervous andplan to take her to a vet tomorrow, but could you tell me waht to do to help her tonight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
How old is she? How do you know she is constipated? Sometimes if they have had diarrhea they have stomach cramps and squat and push to go but have nothing left from the diarrhea and it appears to be constipation. It is good that she has quit vomiting. Has she been spayed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: She is between 4 and 5 years old, American Stafforshire Terrier. She was a rescue, so her exact age is unknown. I brought her outside to go to the bathroom and she urinated but, despite trying, could not make a bowel movement. She could not go last night, inspite of the fact that we took her out 4 times.

Yes, she's been spayed.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
Does she eat pork, rawhides, or things that she should not such as socks, etc.?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: No, she is very well behaved and mellow, no sock chewing, doesn't like rawhide, and usually eats pedigree dry formula with some pedigree wet food mixed in
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also, she appears to have a lot of saliva and is drooling.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
That is good so we can assume she should not have any sort of obstruction. Can you take her temperature rectally for me? Use a human thermometer and normal for a resting dog is 101-102. Can you think of anything toxic that she may have gotten into? Have you put any flea sprays on her or in the house? Did you notice any looe stools before al of this happened? Does her stomach feel hard and when you take her out is she activly squatting and straining to have a BM?
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
She can be drooling from being nauseous. It can also be from ingesting something toxic. It couyld be from dental issues as well but she is fairly young for that problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: About a two weeks ago she had a flea bath. She spends some time in South Carolina and some time in NJ, so while in SC was attacked by fleas. A week after the flea bath we applied Frontline on her. The fleas are gone, and she was fine until yesterday morning when she first vomited, but them was up and around.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: Do you have any suggestions on what we can do tonight for her. I don't have a thermometer.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
OK- All of that should be fine. Do this for me- does she have long hair around her anus? Sometimes the hair can get matted over the anus and they physically cannot have a BM for this reason. Does she ever scoot her butt on the floor? They do that when their anal sacs are impacted and this can cause constipation. The anal sacs are located one on each side of the anus at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. Take a look and see if that area looks swollen.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: Her anus is not swollen.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
OK- great. Do you live close to a Wal-Mart or any store that will have cat hair ball laxative? It comes in a tube. How big of a dog is this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: I do, should I try that?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is about 40-45 pounds
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
Yes- depending on how large a dog she is will depend on how much to give her. You really cannot over dose so don't worry about that. Give her a good dose of that and try to get her to drink small quantities of water but often so hopefully she will keep it down. This will help with the constipation as well. Do you know how to tell if she is dehydrated? You pinch some skin up over her shoulder blades and rib area and if it pops back down to her body she is fine. If it stays up like a tent she is dehydrated.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
OK- She can have about 1/2 of the tube but give her a few tablespoons at a time so she hopefully will not start vomiting again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: Based on your technique, she doesn't appear to be dehydrated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: OK, I will go to the store and get some. Thank you.
Expert:  Joni replied 8 years ago.
Good I am glad she does not seem to be dehydrated. Please remember to click the accept button if I were helpful and also please let me know how things go at the vet.
Experience: 20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes