NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dog is afraid of walking on wood floors.

Customer Question

He sits on carpets and rugs, but is afraid to walk on wood floors.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
He may have at one time slipped on a wooden floor which scared him or he might have never been on one before so its strange to him.
I would make sure his nails are not too long so that he won't slip and slide on the wood floor.
You can work on him learning that wood floors are OK also by getting him interested in venturing out on the wood floors on his own. I would put down a paper plate or a plastic lid from a container and put a treat on it. Place the treat on the plate on the wood floor. Start with it only a step or two at most out onto the floor. In other words just out of his reach so if he wants it he has to step on the floor.
Once he is used to doing that you move the treat a bit further out. You use the plate both to protect the floor and to make it really obvious to the dog that there is a goodie there.
You can use more than one plate too. A really good treat like a bit of chicken or cheese or some canned dog food in a small amount so the dog can smell it works pretty well to interest the dog. Then you ignore the situation and let the dog figure how that the floor is safe to walk on. While that will not happen in one session over time the dog should get past the fear.
Hope this helps you!