Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My new puppy has sarcoptic mange. Will Revolution kill the mites and k

I got a new puppy yesterday. When I brought her home, I noticed she was scratching A LOT. My vet suspects she has sarcoptic mange. I have another dog and I am terrified she is going to get it. I treated them both yesterday with Revolution...and he said they wouldn't need another treatment for a month. Do you think this will work in preventing my other dog from getting it? Also, should I treat my carpet/couch even though she's been here for only 24 hours? And, I know this can be passed on to this anything I should worry about, or is it just a minor rash like my vet said?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 10 years ago.
Revolution will kill these mites, but it works very slowly. I would recommend dipping the puppy for sarcoptic mange first with either a lyme/sulfur dip or a specuial insecticide called phosmet. Then apply the Revolution after the dog is dry. It may be a week before the sores clear up after the mites are dead. If there are other dogs that are unaffected, Revolution or Frontline can be used as a preventative. The mites really do not live very long in the environment, so I don't recommend premise treatments for sarcoptic mange.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
My vet did not recommend a dip. He said they used to have to dip the dogs for sarcoptic mange, but now Revolution takes care of the problem.
But maybe I should try to get her dipped anyway...she is only 15 weeks old--is that too young? Also, I already applied the Revolution on would it be okay to dip her now? Is this something I should do on my own...and can I buy the dip products you mentioned somewhere over the counter? I am just really concerned about catching it and my dog catching it. But it has been about 2 days, and neither me or my other dog seem to have any symptoms. Would it have showed up by now? And you say the revolution is slow acting...does that mean days or weeks? If it takes so long, how long is it contagious to me and my other dog?
Your vet can use either phosmet dip or amitraz dip. It is only available from veterinarians. Revolution can take a week to kill sarcoptic mites. It should be re-applied after bathing and at 2 week intervals for sarcoptic mange.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: So I should not bathe the infected puppy for up to a week after I put on the first Revolution? Also, as I said before, my vet did not seem to want to dip the puppy. Do you think I should go to another vet and ask them to dip her? Or will the Revolution take care of the problem? ALSO...and very important, if I was going to contract the mites, would I already have signs by now? (she's been with me for 4 days now), or is it something that takes awhile to show up? Should I avoid touching her? Would my other dog already have signs?
Expert:  replied 10 years ago.
If it has only been 4 days, then the Revolution should be working by now. If you get the mites, there will be little red, itchy bumps, especially at areas where there is elastic. The mites crawl and when they reach elastic, they burrow into the skin.