Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

how do i stop my male dog from humping my female dog who is ...

Customer Question

how do i stop my male dog from humping my female dog who is fixed? he just cries non stop??? other than getting him fixed!
help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Humping is about dominance. It's not about sex. The humper does not always try to penetrate the humpee and will hump their head, leg, back, or anywhere else that they can get close to. They do not only hump females. So, it's not about sexual gratification or a final release like one would think.

The humper is trying to show his dominance. He's saying, "There! Take that! I'm better than you are!" Then he goes on to the next one until he has the whole pack convinced that he is the best.

The best way to deal with it is to neuter him. This will ease some of the testosterone that's driving the need to hump. But this might not solve your problem. You should distract him and keep him from doing it as much as you can by using toys, affection, etc.

I hope that this helps you to understand the behavior a little more.

Let me know if you still have questions.