Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field

My cocker spaniel has numerous warts all over her their is ...

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel has numerous warts all over her their is no spot that these warts have not touched my vet says that unless they get bigger there is nothing they can do so i was wondering if someone has heard of a treatment for these that maybe she has not . help please
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Vet help replied 7 years ago.
Cocker Spaniels are noted for, among other things, the development of a variety of skin lumps and bumps as they go through life. The majority of these, thankfully, are benign. The biggest issue is that they are not cosmetically appealing, and if the dog begins chewing on them (or if they are accidently clipped when the dog is groomed) they have the potential for infection. Unfortunately, your vet is correct- there's nothing that can be done to get rid of the lumps except for surgical removal. If the lumps are not bothering the dog, are not infected, then surgery would be purely cosmetic. Unfortunately, for every lump you take off, a new one showing up elsewhere is not far behind. So putting a dog through repeated surgeries for lump and bump removal is inadvisable.
Cockers very commonly develop sebaceous cysts- the oil producing glands of the skin (sebaceous glands) get a bit backed up with oil and form a lump. Sometimes these will enlarge, break open and exude a pasty type of material. Application of an antibiotic ointment twice a day to guard against secondary infection is all that is needed. Resist the urge to squeeze or milk out these cysts, as that can lead to deep infection and a much more serious and difficult problem. Bathing your dog periodically with a follicular flushing shampoo (Pyoben, available from your vet, is a good choice) may help reduce the numbers of the sebaceous cysts and epitrichial (plugged up hair follicle) cysts that form. But probably not to an enormous extent.
Cockers are also very prone to development of papillomas- hairless bumps with a cauliflower appearance. No amount of bathing will prevent these, and these are the ones that are commonly accidently nicked while grooming. If you groom your dog yourself, be aware of the locations of all the lumps and bumps so that you can avoid them. If you have your dog groomed, try to make the groomer aware of them.
Unfortunately there's no good fix for this problem. But we love our lumpy Cockers anyway!