NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

What is a good Antibiotic ointment for dogs

What is a good Antibiotic ointment for dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
You can use neosporin or triple antibiotic or bacitracin ointments on dogs.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Neosporin does not work what other over the counter bacitracin can I get?
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Triple antibiotic which has 3 antibacterial agents in it, or Bacitracin as I mentioned above.
The three items in the triple ointment are bacitracin, neomycin, and polymixin B. So polymixin B would be another one you could try individually.
If you are having a problem clearing up an infection I suggest cleaning the area with Betadine iodine solution before using the ointment on the spot. Or you can also try Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the area before using an oitment. And before you clean and treat the area sometimes using a warm damp compress on the spot will help draw the infection and improve healing.