Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author

over the counter tranquilizer

My dog got into a porcupine last night.   We managed to get most of the quills out, but there are 2 remaining. He does not want anthing more to do with removing the quills.   Is there any over the counter tranquilizer that I can give him?? I think if I can calm him down a little we will be able to remove them. Taking him to a vet is an ordeal, we need to muzzle him and that would be a problem. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 10 years ago.
Over the counter Benadryl if often an effective, as well as safe tranquilizer in dogs, dosed at 1 mg for every pound of body weight, administered orally no more than two times daily. For example, a 50 pound dog, would get 50 mg of Benadryl up to twice daily as needed. Benadryl comes in children's strength at 12.5 mg, and adult strength at 25 mg. The appropriate size will depend on the size of your dog.

Good luck to you, and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.