Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My Chihuahua acts like she has sinus problems.

I had a vet tell me to blow into her nostrils to clear the air passage but that's not working. What else can I do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
Exactly what is she doing? Standing still and breathing in and out really fast? Honking?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is not breathing too fast but it is in and out, like we do when we are trying to clear our nose.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

The snorting could be a reverse sneeze if it looks like his sides are going in and out and he's honking.

Reverse sneezes have the same cause as a regular sneeze but are much more dramatic!

You should look around the home for allergens and eliminate them if you can. Carpet powders, cleaners and pollen are pretty mean culprits.

I found an informative article that might explain it for you better than I can:

Paroxysmal Respiration or "The Reverse Sneeze"

I have found evidence that the massage technique mentioned above works well as does forcing the dog to swallow.

Aside from that, tracheal collapse is also common in some dogs.

This time of the year, we also see inhalant allergies and respiratory illnesses so see your vet tomorrow if this does not start to improve.

Let me know if you still have questions.