Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)

my 7 week old puppies have big bellies after they eat. then ...

Customer Question

my 7 week old puppies have big bellies after they eat. then when they go to the bathroom they look boney. whats wrong with them.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

Congratulations on your new puppies. It is normal for their stomachs to look large after eating. They should not however, look bony. Have you dewormed the puppies yet? 85% of all puppies are born with roundworms and need to be dewormed. Your veterinarian can give you some good dewormer for the puppies. There are over the counter products as well, but some of them only cover roundworms and not other parasites. No matter what, you should bring a stool sample in to the vet for a check. Some worms are transmissible to people and you want to make sure that the puppies don't have any parasites.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope this answers your question.