Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author
1859647

my dog has sticky white/yellow mucus in his eye. Its ...

my dog has sticky white/yellow mucus in his eye. It's just like I get from my allergies. Is this the same thing or is it possibly an infection. He only has one eye so, it is making it difficult for him to see clearly. He is a 9.5 yr old Lasa. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  vsevans replied 8 years ago.
While this could be an infection CAUSED by an allergy, perhaps to food, carpet, cleaning products...this has become an infection. If you want to treat it yourself, go to your pet supply store and purchase some terramycin opthalmic ointment and put it inside his lower eyelid several times a day...the movement of the eye will spread it where it needs to go. Best advice is to have your vet check him for possible eye ulcer and prescribe the correct specific opthalmic antibiotic for this purpose.
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for posting your question with us. If you don't mind, I would like to expand a bit on your dog's problem. Allergy and subsequent conjuntivitis is but one possibility for your dog's condtion. Not a good idea blindly treat with out investigating a bit further.

Lhasas commonly are affected with a condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca, or KCS. With KCS, the mybomian glands of the eye, the major tear producers of the eye, are insufficient. As a result, tear production is lacking, and the cornea remains in a chronically dryed out state, leading to discomforrt, inflammation, and secondary infections.

Another possibility is that your little dog may have sustained a corneal ulcer, an erosion of the superficial/clear covering of the eyeball. Corneal ulcers can be caused from self trauma or abrasion from an ananimate object or other pet. They can be quite painful if present, requiring more than simple an antibiotic ointment to treat.

Your best bet for acheiving a reslution, especially since your dog has only one good eye that you really want to protect, would be to bring the dog to the vet. Specifically, the tear production should be tested with shirmer tear strips, and the eye should also be stained to look for a corneal ulcer.

In the end, you may find out that the problem is simply allergic conjunctivitis, but having ruled out KCS and corneal ulcer, you can now treat the problem considerably more effectively. You see, the optimal treatment for allergic conjunctivitis is a hydrocortisone based triple antibiotic ointment. However, hydrocortisone is actually contra-indicated for use in KCS and corneal ulcer, having the potential to seriously aggravate those two other conditions. Having effectively ruled them out, you would now have the opportunity to use the best topical ophthalmic, with no risk to the patient.

Good luck to you. Feel free to discuss my post with your vet, and let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author