Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dog has started twitching in her front leg not just ...

My dog has started twitching in her front leg not just while asleep but now when she is awake.

What breed is your dog?

How old is she?

How long has this been going on?

Does she have a limp?

Is she lethargic?

Can she lift her head to look at you?

Are there any sores, bites, lumps that you can visually see?

how much does she weigh?

Any other issues with other legs?

How is her appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Banjo is a mutt :) maybe shepard X border collie.
She is one year old and 27 lbs, we got her at the shelter 6 weeks ago (she was heartworm neg and spayed), I took her to the vet the next day and she checked out fine. Then one week later I took her in because she seemed a bit wobbly at her hind end, she had worms and parasites so I got her meds and she has been happy and healthy ever since. The twitching started maybe two weeks ago but seems to have increased the past few days. She does not limp,she's energetic and alert and is eating and pooping fine. She has a few tiny bumps, maybe bites on one leg-I checked her for ticks and she does not have any fleas.
I may not have a 100% answer to your dogs condition but would like to mention a couple of possibilities. One of the biggest issues here is that you have no idea of your dogs history. Was there illness as a puppy, did she have distemper at some point? Has she had this issue since birth? Since you do not have a health history you really should consider having a blood panel done to rule out internal issues with the liver, kidneys as well as what her electrolytes are and glucose is, just to name a few things. A complete blood panel will encompass everything that may or may not point to a specific cause in the leg twitching. To me it sounds like a neurological ailment, even potentially partial seizures or the start of such. The nervous system, which includes the brain and spinal cord is very sensitive to changes in electrolytes, temperature, pressure, sugar, oxygen, chemicals, and other abnormalities. Not knowing your dogs history blood values would be the first place I would look for more information. Potential causes are 1) excessive exercise or just having a little too much fun (young dogs do this), 2) Spinal compression from a herniated or bulging disc, 3) seizures which can simply start off as twitching depending on which part of the brain is affected. (If you pet had survived distemper as a puppy, seizures are common in adulthood) 4) Diabetes, 5) Thyroid disease. It would be a good idea to keep a log of when the twitching starts and stops and how long it lasts. Her condition may not be anything major to worry about, but all possibilities should be looked into if it continues to cause problems for her. The fact that it has recurred is enough for me to warrant a few tests just to be sure everything is okay.

Good Luck