Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

my dogs have maggots around their anus, what can i do they ...

my dogs have maggots around their anus, up inside their rectum. what can i do? they are shaved and cleaned.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.
Do the bugs look like kittle pieces of white rice or sesame seeds?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: they are maggots, i know what they are! they are like rice with a black dot. is there something i can do to get rid of them in the rectum?

Dear friend,

Here is a site with pictures of worms. See if you recognize them on it. Then all you have to do is order the online product that kills them from the same site or www.1800petmeds.com If they are tapeworms you would use Dronset or Drontal - two doses 6 weeks apart.

Please let me know if you can identify them from the pictures or have any further questions. I am happy to help.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: i did not get any picture! i know they are maggots! i've had other people look at them also. i have no way to the vets till monday, i need to know if there is something i can do myself for now?

Deqr friend,

The treatment for maggots is at the bottom of the page:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/myiasis-maggots-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Please let me know how this works for you.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: It hasn't helped much, sorry! I did all that, except removing the maggots because they seem to be up inside the rectum. Someone told me to give the dogs an enema to flush them out. Is there any medicine, suppository or such, that would help flush out the rectum or will they just come out as the dogs go the bathroom? These dogs are old, 12 and 14. The don't get around much. The were dirty behind and flies laid their eggs, producing maggots. I have shaved the area, cleaned it and applied 'bag balm' to help soothe the redness. I'm concerned about maggots that I saw at the opening of the anus,going up into the rectum. Please, if you know of what i can do to get them out, please help. Everything I have read applied to a sore ON the skin, not inside the rectum. Thanks for your patience and time. These dogs are inside dogs but go out during the day. They are part of the family. Also i have a 1 yr pup that I'm afriad may pick something up. Very Sincerely, Tina

Dear Tina,

I know a betadine solution will kill them but I do not know if it is safe to use in an enema so I wil confer with one of our veterinarians and let you know. I will help in any way possible. I know these are your babies and you need to resolve this so I will post to you as soon as i get an answer.

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: thank you so much, i really appreciate it. i'll be here all day. thanks, very sincerely, Tina

Dear Tina,

This is what I have been told. Treat the outside with a betadine solution three times a day. Give each dog a dronset tablet now and again in six weeks . Youn can order it fro www.1800petmeds.com or get it fro ma vet.That should resolve the problems. DO NOT give them any enemas.

Please let me know how this works out.

Very sincerely,

terri

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank you so very much, i didn't want to give them an enama but if that's what i had to do, i'd do what ever it takes to get them better. Thanks again for your time and all the hellp you've given. The one dog is real red and sore on the back end but after i put some 'bag balm' on her, she seems to be resting a little. I'm going to wash them up and shave her more. Thanks again for everything,

very sincerely, Tina

You are so very welcome, Tina!
Let me know how they are and if you need anything else.

.Best of luck,

Terri

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert