Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian

I noticed some white discharge from my dogs penis ...

I noticed some white discharge from my dog's penis today. I thought maybe he was excited but it caught my eye because it was real white. I looked closer and tried to get his peewee out so I could tell if it was semen or what. The discharge has a strong smell and is real thick and white in color. What do you think?

Some discharge from the penis is considered normal. The prepuce (the covering of the penis) typically will have a white-green discharge in most dogs, especially if they are not neutered.

If your dog seems uncomfortable, or is licking his penis a lot, there could be an infection. So, if he is not bothering it, I would recommend keeping the area clean. A warm washcloth (nothing on it), or a baby wipe could be used to clean up around the area, and also his inner thighs where the discharge accumlates when they lay down. Make sure if this is a long haired dog to keep the hair trimmed around the penis also, this will keep the bacteria down, and prevent infection also.

If he is acting uncomfortable/licking, you may need to see your vet for antibiotic treatment.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vicky Lamb's Post: Thank you. My concern was because everything I read on line said if he was not neutered and he has been. I have never noticed this before in him. Anyway, it doesn't seem to bother him, he doesn't lick much and he is going to the bathroom normally. Thanks again. Cheryl

Yes, neutered dogs get it too, but in my opinion, there is not as much of the discharge when they are neutered.

Since this is a new development, you will want to keep an eye on it, and if it is worsening, bring him into the vet for an exam. Sometimes pieces of grass can get up in the prepuce (or other foreign objects) and create an irritation that causes the build up. The vet can flush out the prepuce, and examine the discharge and decide if any treatment is necessary. Oral antibiotics and flushes of the prepuce are the most common things used to treat infections.

If the discharge is minimal and not changing, most vets recommend simply keeping the area clean, and trimmed of hair. Watch for signs of discomfort or of the problem worsening, and get him in for an exam if this occurs.