Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

my dog has smelly pussy ears all the time i use ear wash ...

Customer Question

my dog has smelly pussy ears all the time i use ear wash and clean them out all the time what is it and what can i do to not have it come back
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 years ago.
It sounds like she needs another trip to the vet for an ear culture. An ear culture will help to isolate which organism or organisms are causing this infection and which is the proper medication to treat it. Allergies can be a trigger for chronic ear infections.

An allergy is the body's response to foreign proteins. Your dog could have inhalant allergies or food allergies. She could have one or a mulitple of allergens.

If an allergy test has not been done I would recommend this be the first step. You will find out what she is allergic to, whether it is beef, dust mites, fleas, molds, pollens, wheat or corn. They can be allergic to anything the same way that we can. You can have your dermatologist perform this test with skin pricks just like people get or you can have your veterinarian draw blood and send it off to the lab for testing. About 80% of allergies can be confirmed with testing. After the allergy test you can learn what to avoid and what is okay. You can also have a serum designed to help desensitize her. This is done by giving a serious of controlled injections and increasing the amount of the offending allergen in hopes desensitizing the dogs response. For most dogs allergy injections significantly reduce itching. Antihistamines also help to decrease an allergic response if used long term. If one anti histamine doesn't work then you try another. If you have not tried hydroxyzine or chlorpheneramine then I would recommend giving them a whirl. These are great if they work, but if not you can try. Clemastine Fumarate (Tavist), and recently Zyrtec is being tried with amazing results. I would contact your veterinarian about a script for one of these medications. Most times chronic ear irritation is related to a food allergy. There are allergy diets like L/A (limited antigen) and Hills Z/D. Your dog may be allergic to corn or wheat and these foods are made for those type of allergies. Duck and Potato and Venison and Potato have also been used with great success especially if a dog is allergic to a meat protein. So there are several foods you can try. You don't have to put a lot of work into it and they have been proven to give positive results. You just have to find the right one. A food trial will need to last for 6-8 weeks with no other treats except what is in the food. No treats, no table scraps, no mistakes to see if it is a food allergy that is the culprit.

Chronic ear infection can be a pain to clear up. A dermatologist may need to be seen to evaluate her condition. They specialize in conditions of the skin and allergies and may be able to try different protocols in hopes of bringing better results. There is currently a dog at the clinic that gets her own mixture of drops for the ears: amikaycin and saline with a touch of dex. This came after years of failed treatments and it actually works like a dream and has been for 6 months now. Another actually gets and antibiotic mixed with vaseline of all things and has the ear packed. I actually am against this because I feel it holds in the moisture of the ear and can create a whole group of other problems, but you know what it works for this boy and the owners basically say lets leave well enough alone. Dermatologists really can come up with something that might work for your girl too. In the end if there are absolutely no improvements Total ear ablation might be your better choice.

Good Luck,

Theresa