Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

My dog wont eat and has diarrhea what should I do

Customer Question

My dog has quit eating and is loosing weight, and has had diarrhea the last day. what should i do and what can i feed him that will make him gain some weight back
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 10 years ago.

How old is your dog?

When did his symptoms start?

Is he up to date on all vaccinations?

What is his diet? (Food and snacks such s bones or rawhides)

Any other symptoms?

Walter

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: He will be two years old on the 15 of July

His diarrhea started yesterday and he's always been a picky eater.. we got a puppy about a month ago and that's when it seem like he lost his appetite.

He is up to date on vaccinations

He has food and water readily available all day long and he only eats treats once a month.
Expert:  Walter replied 10 years ago.

If your dog becomes lethargic or you notice and blood in the diarrhea I would highly recommend you get him to the vet promptly, as it could be something serious such as a blockage or a parasite infection. I am concerned that it may be a blockage since he is not wanting to eat or drink anything. I would strongly recommend speaking with his vet and see if he can be seen tonight or first thing in the morning.

You can feed him boiled chicken and rice to settle his stomach. You will need to watch out for dehydration as well because dogs can become dehydrated quickly with diarrhea and since he is not drinking I am concerned about this. I would recommend giving him unflavored pedialyte to replace the vitamins and minerals being lost with the vomiting. If he isn't doing better in 24 hours I would recommend getting the dog to the vet to diagnosis the problem and begin any needed treatments.

Walter