NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How do i break my dog from eating human food to eat dog food

Customer Question

how can my dog change from eating human food to eating dog food
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
There are different ways of doing this. You could mix dog food in with the people food he is eating and gradually reduce the people food as you increase the dog food.
You could choose to make the dog do this all at once by offering him only dog food. If he refuses it you pick it up and try again the next meal time and give no treats inbetween meals.
I usually feed 1/2 the dog's daily portion twice each day and seldom find any dog that will skip more than three meals before deciding its better to eat what is served than go hungry. I give them 10-20 minutes to eat and if they don't eat the food gets picked up.
I think it helps a lot to be offering a higher than grocery store quality food too. You may find your dog will appreciate a food like California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover, Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Dick Van Patten etc.
Hope this helps you!