Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

BLOOD IN URINE AFTER SPAY SURGERY

Customer Question

My female puppy just got spayed and sometimes after she urinates, it's a light red color at the end. Could this be from the surgery? Or from the meds she's on for the surgery? She just got spayed Friday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 years ago.

She could coincidentally have a urinary tract infection that is causing the blood to appear in the urine. Symptoms of a urinary tract infection include frequent urination, increased thirst, squatting for a long time but not getting much out, accidents in the home. There is a risk that the bladder or the urethra may have been nicked during surgery though and she needs to be evaluated as this is a severe condition. I would take her today to the emergency center to have her urine checked. Hopefully, she just has a bladder infection that can be treated with antibiotics. I wouldn't recommend waiting until tomorrow.

Good luck

Theresa

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: She's on amoxicillian..would that work for the urinary tract infection of that is what she has?
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 years ago.

It could depending on the bacteria that is present. But I would really highly recommend a visit to the vet to rule out injury.

Thank you