NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dog is walking crooked and it just started today. What ...

Customer Question

My dog is walking crooked and it just started today. What could be the problem? He was yelping when we touched the side of his head/neck, all the way down to his front leg. Could it be a muscle pull?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
It might be a muscle but its even more likely to be a nerve problem due to a neck issue. If he has an injury that is causing him pain like this he should see a vet today if at all possible.
I would use a harness on him instead of a collar when taking him on a leash. You don't want to jerk on the neck of a dog with an injury.
You can read about disc disease here
and this site shows pictures of the problem as well as having more info
But I think he needs vet care even if its just to get safe pain meds for a dog to use.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I read the links you sent regarding the disc injury. I don't know how it could be that. He was fine this morning and by noon he was walking crooked. He yelps if I try and turn his head the other way (away from the way he is facing). I am not pushing hard just slightly and he yelps. He is not one to yelp, even when he tore his knee ligament. If it helps he is a Siberian Husky and is almost 8 years old. He is in great health. I can't imagine how he would have a nerve problem. Could you explain how that might happen and what the symptoms would be. Thanks.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
The reason I think it may be a neck issue is the symptoms you describe.
Sometimes the neck gets injured and sometimes its just something that happens due to long term injury or an old injury or just age wear and tear.
People have been known to bend over to pick up a paperclip and blow a disk in their back.
Your dog may just have reached for something and caused a last little bit of wear.
I would not suggest you manipulate his neck more.
If he is showing pain when its moved he needs vet attention about this issue. As this could potentially lead to paralysis he needs to be treated and handled carefully to avoid that.
At 8 he's an older dog so this isn't an unreasonable thing to have happen.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I want a different opinion.
My dog is walking crooked. If you try and turn his neck he yelps. He is normally not a yelper. This neck problem occured out of nowhere. In the morning he was fine and then in the afternoon he was walking crooked. Could he have been sleeping funny and pulled a muscle?