NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dogs nails are cracking and splitting, and the tissue ...

Customer Question

My dogs nails are cracking and splitting, and the tissue underneath is all dried and cracked. What is this and how do I fix it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Commonly this is caused by a nail bed infection of a fungus or a bacteria. To get the right meds you'd need to see a vet.
Its possible this is a part of an autoimmune disorder but the more likely reason is an infection.
You can read about nail problems here
If you usually clip your own dog's nails be sure to disinfect the trimmers. You can clean them with any good disinfecting cleaner and dry them well and oil if needed. Or you can buy either a disinfecting spray or a barbercide type solution from a hair salon supply store.
Hope this helps you!