Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)
1615593

dog losing hair around neck area

i own a rat terrier, he is nutered, and about one year old. i had a collar on him and the ring for his nametag was chaffing his skin in the front of his neck and causing him to lose just a little bit of hair, so i took it off about five days ago.
i noticed last night, that way more fur has dissapeared from the front of his neck.
he lays on the bed in front of the fan. i live in las vegas and it gets hot here.
what do you think is the cause of him losing his hair? i am worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

I share your concern for your dog. Hair loss in dogs, also known as "alopecia" can have numerous underlying causes including skin mites (demodex, sarcoptes, scabies), a bacterial or yeast infection, endocrine disease (thyroid problems -- unlikely in your case), ringworm and allergies.

Is he itchy? Is the underlying skin red? Is the hairloss generalized around the neck or are there circular patches missing?

If you reply, I can give you a more specific answer.

Awaiting your reply....

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: it is just around the underside of his neck and he is a little bit itchy. he was playing with another dog the other night, so maybe he got irritation.
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

It's unlikely that a minor irritation from playing would cause him to lose all of his hair under his neck. If the skin is red, there is likely an infection present that needs to be treated. The longer you let it go, the harder it will be to clear it up. It's not an emergency by any means, but after the holiday, have your vet check it out.

Let me know if you need more information.