NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Dog with orange colored diarrhea

My dog is clearly ill and is having orange colored diarrhea. He is not eating or drinking, is lethargic and weak. No fever. Has been about 24 hrs now.   We have a vet appointment, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? Any ideas what this is?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
You can see if giving him some Karo or pancake syrup right in his mouth will help give him some energy.
Plain pedialyte can also be given in his mouth and a sports bottle is a good way to drip fluids in his mouth for him.
The orange in the diarrhea is probably bile from the bowels moving too fast to digest it so its coming out highly colored.
However coronavirus infection can also cause orange diarrhea. You can read about this infection here
Your vet can help your dog feel lots better with fluids and meds to sooth the stomach.
Key is getting fluids in and keeping energy up. NutriCal a sticky supplement is also a good thing to give them right in their mouth for energy. Pet supply stores usually carry it.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I did try giving him some sugar water through a med dropper. It mostly dripped out. I then put some in the back of his cheek and tried to hold his head up to get him to swallow. That ended up running back out, too. I tried a small bit of peanut butter, because of its consistency. He spit most of it out. And I had to pry his mouth open for all of this, so he CLEARLY isn't interested. He is drooling more than usual, too. I will look up the virus, though. Wouldn't he have a fever with that?
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Not always a fever with corona virus.
The thing with the syrup is you can stick it on their tongue or roof of the mouth and it usually gets swallowed and will give the dog some energy.
Drooling goes along with nausea.
Hopefully your vet appointment is today as I'm sure your dog needs fluids.
If it isn't then consider seeing an emergency vet or if you can't do that then try using some Pepcid or Tagamet to see if controling the nausea will help you get fluids in him.
You can read about dose amounts (and cautions) scrolling down on the pages here
The peanutbutter is oily and that might be the reason it didn't go down well for him. Oily stuff when you are nauseous isn't always good.
To get the fluids in try a slow drip into the pouch of skin between the cheek and teeth. No need to pry open the mouth that way and tilting the head up will help push him into swallowing.
If there is any chance he got into something toxic including a mushroom in the yard or chemicals he needs to be seen as an emergency.
If this started after you used an over the counter flea med washing it off him with a non-insecticidal dog shampoo might also help.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for your help. It turned out that his liver was grossly enlarged, and he had likely hit the critical point in liver cancer where he was starting to decompensate. The vet was quite sure, but said we could do all the hospitalization and testing, though there were few if any other possibilities that wouldn't have the same prognosis. So we put him down. So sad. I was thinking some sort of toxin also, so I wasn't ready for this. But he was clearly suffering, so there really was no choice.
Thanks again.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
I am so sorry for your loss!
Liver failure like this can be brought on from a toxin too.
If you have not seen and the rainbow bridge story it may bring you some comfort.