NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My Bichon has a tendency to rub his lower jaw and

My Bichon has a tendency to rub his lower jaw and shake his hind legs violently at same time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Dogs usually shake their hind legs like this when they are very itchy and can't quite reach the itch with a hind paw. Often the do this when you scratch the itchy area or if they are rubbing it to scratch it themselves.
He may have a skin infection in his face area or allergies making him so itchy.
Flea bites are common allergens as can be food or inhaled items.
If you happen to feed him out of a plastic dish you might see if swapping to ceramic or stainless will help as some dogs get itchy faces from contact with the plastic.
Otherwise I'd suggest consulting your vet for checking on other health issues that are making him itchy.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX eats from a ceramic bowl, was just to a groomer and seriously why would he rub his jaw on carpet if he had an itch elsewhere ?

He rubs/runs his lower jaw on carpet or rough surface at same time his hind legs are thrashing on the ground furiously.

I have no problem paying for this service, but for god sakes your 1st answer was simple , open ended and quite simply was foolish.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Its his chin that itches. The reaction of the legs going at the same time is an autonomic system reaction.
You will see something similar in many dogs when they are petted and scratched by the owners in varying places on their bodies if they are itchy. Many owners find this quite amusing.
Now that you mention he was just groomed, it may be his face is healing up from being clipper burned or scratched with a brush or comb or scissors depending on how he was groomed.
It may also be the face area was not well rinsed of shampoo or conditioner leaving it itchy.
I'm sorry you feel an explanation of how dogs react to an itchy area being scratched was foolish. Its simply the way dogs bodies work.
I would look for a source of irritation in the chin or perhaps even the mouth area causing him to both be itchy and to react to scratching that itch.