NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My female dog got pregnant with her brother. Will anything ...

Customer Question

My female dog got pregnant with her brother. Will anything happen to the puppies now?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
If she just bred you have 3-4 weeks to decide to spay her.
If you decide to let her have the pups or she is further along than 4 weeks then all you can do is wait and see how the pups turn out.
In general most dog breeders would not choose to do such close inbreeding.
You might double up on unsuspected recessive traits and have some pups with health problems.
You may also get a smaller than normal litter if some of the fetuses don't make it to being born due to defects.
You can read about the pluses and minuses of inbreeding here
You may find you lose some pups shortly after birth if they have serious defects. You might find the pups are perfectly all right and are just a lot like their parents.
Its wait and see. Inbreeding doesn't guarantee a problem it just increases risks.
Hope this helps you!