Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field
883989

My dog has a huge bump on her nose. We thought it was ...

My dog has a huge bump on her nose. We thought it was an infection and took her to the vet. The vet has tried many different antibiotics and predisone. The bump keeps getting bigger and she is having trouble breathing thru her nose. Is there anything other than surgery that could help her? the swelling area is between her eyes and has swollen up like an egg. She is 7 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What breed is your dog?
-Has your vet done a fine needle aspirate of the bump (used needle and syringe to collect cells for evaluation under the microscope)? If he has, what was his suspicion/ diagnosis?
-Was an x-ray taken of the head?
-What antibiotics have been used, and at what dosages?
-What was the dosing schedule for the prednisone?
-Do you live in either the western or southern part of the US?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: She is a mix of beagle and lab.

the vet didn't use a needle on the bump and said he didn't think it would be good to try and drain it, he didn't want to open up the area by putting a needle in it. He thought it may be tumourous.

No xrays were taken.

I am not sure of the anitbiotics, I know he tried at least 3 different types and different strengths.

The dosing schedule for the predisone was 10mg every other day. This was the last thing he tried. We have been giving her Benadryl every day and it has seemed to help a little with her breathing. We aren't able to afford a huge operation bill or we would have taken her up to VA Tech by now.

We live in Elliston Virginia, near Roanoke.
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
A fine needle aspirate will not "open up" the lump. The needle used is tiny, and the idea is to get a few cells out for evaluation, not to try to drain the lump. There may be a small amount of leakage from the procedure, but this stops quickly with light pressure on the area. I think this is a VERY important diagnostic tool in this case-
it may help to point your vet in the direction of a diagnosis such as tumor, reaction to a foreign body (grass awn, porcupine quill, etc.), or infection. In your part of the country, some fungal infections may be prevalent and can cause a similar presentation. I really think you should discuss this again with your vet- if he's not comfortable doing it perhaps he can refer you to a colleague in your area that might be able to help.
I can't comment on the antibiotics since I don't know what they were- often you need them for at least 14 days, but if at the appropriate doses and there is a bacterial component to this- you should begin to see some improvement within the first several days. Doing a fine needle aspirate (if some leakage is obtained) would also allow you to do a culture and sensitivity of the material coming from the lump. If there are organisms (your vet would have to specify to the lab if he is looking for bacteria, fungi, or both so they know what culture media to use) present in the lump, the sensitivity testing will direct you to the appropriate medication for those particular "bugs".
The prednisone dose sounds a bit low to me. Usually we start out with a loading dose, so say in a 45 pound dog I might do 10 mg twice a day for three days, then once a day for 5- 7 days, then go every other day. Perhaps he was nervous about starting on a higher dose since he doesn't know what the lump is yet.
An x-ray would also be helpful in allowing your vet to see if there has been any damage to underlying bone in that area, and see if he can get a sense of a mass within the nasal area in this region.
Please discuss these things with your vet. Further testing is absolutely indicated and it doesn't have to be very expensive, like surgery. The fine needle aspirate shouldn't be more than $20 or so (though I think Va is a bit more expensive than where I live). The culture and sensitivity may be $50- 75, and the x-rays maybe around $80?
Please let me know if you have other questions.
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience: 9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field