Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
1298761

I have a pregnant bitch, she has tapeworms, Can I worm her ...

I have a pregnant bitch, she has tapeworms, Can I worm her now with Erliworm. Liquid Wormer?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Hello and thank you for investigating this very important question about your dog!

The active ingredient in Erliworm (piperazine) is only effective against roundworms.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/tapeworm-infection-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A proven treatment for tapeworms is available from your veterinarian...this link show the label directions, which includes safety for administration to pregnant dogs:

http://www.bayeranimal.com/pdf/label/drontalAll.pdf

Any time we have a health concern with our pregnant girls, we should address it in concert with our trusted medical professionals.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gen B.'s Post: My vet is not available on the weekends. Are you saying there is nothing I can give her, including home remedies. She is scooting her butt on the floor, and seems to be bothered. She is due to whelp any day now. Will these parasites be transferred to the newborns?
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Are you actually seeing tapeworm segments, or is she just itchy?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gen B.'s Post: It looks like there are small grains of rice in her stool, and she scoots in circles on her butt.
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Yeah, OK...please stand by for an Answer!
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Unlike other intestinal parasites that can migrate from mother to pups through the uterus (like roundworms), tapeworms must be contacted directly, either through fresh segments in stool, or from swallowing fleas. The pups are safe for the meantime, until they are able to swallow segments from bedding, her hair, etc.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

PetSmart does carry a product called D-Worm that is supposed to be safe in pregnancy...always read the label and product inserts carefully to be sure that your pet is a good candidate for treatment.

Do be sure to pick up her stool every time she goes to prevent segments being picked up by fleas in your yard. Treating regularly for fleas is the best way to get rid of these intenstinal pests. Fleas very often migrate to a property on wild animals (squirrels, prarie dogs, mice, deer, etc.).

I do not know of any "home" remedy that I can say is going to be 100% safe for a pregnancy at this stage...I myself would err on the side of caution with new babies on the way and not try a homeopathic mix that I haven't used on any pet before.

I have been checking with a few breeder friends of mine, and they concur...you can try the D-Worm if you can find it locally, or wait for the doctor's office to get you a dose of Droncit that is right for her weight and condition.

I hope this helps you...you can try a warm (not hot) compress on her bottom just to relieve the itchy sensation temporarily.

If I can give you any more support today, please click "Reply".