Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

Lab: our human family had a week long business trip the following day

Customer Question

Our oldest Lab, Cookie, died last week. Unfortunately, our human family had a week long business trip the following day. We left our two remaining Labs, Bailey (10 yr. male) and Sassy (11 yr. female) in the care of a friend at our home. Bailey has been unusually quiet, not eating or drinking, throwing up and generally not himself while we were gone. (He was given to us 4 years ago because of excessive barking.) He and my husband have a VERY strong bond. Coud this all be stress over the death of our beloved companion and our absence, or should we be looking for other causes?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.
Labradors are very sensitive dogs...I had one for 13 years. They all act/grieve/mourn differently. If this continues, I would definately consult your vet regarding this, but it could just be from missing you and your husband and is friend. Make sure he stays hydrated...offer him plain pedialyte in his drinking water or via dropper if need be. You can feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice as this is highly digestable. See how he does after 24 hours, if no progress, give your vet a call to rule out a medical problem. If he is better now that you are back, then I would definately say he was mourning and missing you two. I am so sorry for your loss and if you need to, please check out www.petloss.com as most people find this very comforting during the time of a loss of a pet. :)
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: Dear Gina,
Thanks for your fast response. I feel you are right. We had been communicating via cell phone about hydration, pedialyte, etc., with our dog sitter and our vet. We have had our Labs (two from Lab Rescue, one purchased from breeder) for 11 yrs., but no one has ever been sick. Your concurring opinion was just what we needed--along with the reminder of the BRAT (Bread, rice, apples and tea) and CCC (chicken, carrots and ??)diets. THanks. Susan