Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

my dog seems to have a blister on her upper lip that ...

my dog seems to have a blister on her upper lip that was not there one week ago and seems to be growing daily is this something to be concerned about?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 11 years ago.
Ulcers on the lips usually indicate an infection. That may be related to how the tooth touches the lip in that area. You need to have your vet look at the lip to see if the teeth need cleaning or the dog needs an antibiotic to treat this type of infection.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: could this be something other than an infection? IS there anything that I could do to avoid the vet visit?
Without seeing the lesion, I cannot tell you anything very specific. Is this on the inside of the lip or the outside?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: on the outside of her lip and it appears white in color
OK. Try and describe it to me. Is it like a blister with fluid in it? Is it white like crusty? Is it thick and hard? Is it painful?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: it looks clear to me. it is not at all painful to the touch. it is directly below her nose. where the right nostril and the lip meet. there is not crust and it doesn't ooze even if I apply pressure
Is the pigment gone and is it pink where it should be black?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: YES
Expert:  replied 11 years ago.
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. There is probably not much you can do except to put a steroid creme on it. If you want to go through having a biopsy, that is possible. There are a couple of autoimmune diseases that cause depigmentation; pemphigus and discoid lupus.