Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

I found a lump on one of my dogs nipples, ...

I found a lump on one of my dog's nipples, what may be the cause and do I need to take her to the vet for it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
What breed dog is this?

How old is she?

Has she been spayed (or does she still have her uterus)?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gen B.'s Post: My dog Mimi is a twelve year old cocker Spaniel who has not been spayed. The lump only a little while ago and it does not appear to be getting any bigger but it still worries me. Thank you for your interest. I am sorry it took me a while to reply but I have dial-up and I cannot stay on too, long or else it ties up the phoneline. Thank you again.
Expert:  Gen B. replied 10 years ago.
Yeah, we're "dial-up people" here as well! I am so glad that you are researching this part of your dog's health.

What concerns me most about ANY lump in the breast area of an unspayed female is, of course, a malignancy (50% of breast lumps in dogs that arise from estrogen exposure are the "bad" type). The Cocker Spaniel is a breed that is high on the list of dogs that do develop mammary tumors.

***As in people, the sooner it is examined, diagnosed, and removed if necessary, the better chance we have of stopping something bad.***

***I would certainly recommend that you take this opportunity to have it looked at while it is small and new.***

Here is a link that gives additional details about this important subject:

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".