Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My dogs ears are always full of smelly black wax. My

Customer Question

My dog's ears are always full of smelly black wax. My vet just has me clean them once weekly. Is there anything else I can be doing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

has your vet given you any drops to put in his ears?

What breed dog?

How long has this been going on for?

Does he scratch at them? or shake his head?

Is the wax black or brown?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: This has been going on in my standard poodle for about one year. The wax is brownish/black..dark and oily and has a bad odor. The first time we went in we did get some drops and it cleared up, but since then he has just been having us clean them. I have another standard poodle, and her ears definitely do not smell like this nor do I get nearly as much wax out when I clean them. My dog does seem to gently rub at her ears quite often.
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

Because it has a very bad odor, I would give your vet a call again and have him checked. He may have an infection brewing that will need antibiotics. It sounds like possibly a yeast problem. The aid in this, you can clean the ears with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water. The acid will kill the yeast. Here is a site that will tell you more about yeast infections and treatments:

http://articles.pointshop.com/pets/778.php

Sometimes this happens because of their diet. Try a holistic diet like Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal. Hope this helps and hope he feels better soon :)